Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Two more, that's it.

I am in day 11 of my back issues.  Most everyday it gets a little bit better, to the point that I can't complain...some have far worse issues.  But there's two lessons worth mentioning. 

First, it's informative to see how people who have their own occasional back issues react very differently than those without.  If somebody has back problems, they look at me with a sense of concern and empathy.  "Oh, yeah, I know...awful...what can I do to help."  If somebody has not had back problems, the concern usually is (like my wife's), "You bent over?  And your back seized up?  I don't get it."  Exactly...you don't get it.  And their advice of 'go to a chiropractor!' or 'take a muscle relaxer' doesn't do much for me.

The second lesson, though, is more real.  Since this began, whether I was in my agony state or now just in my irritated state (and the painful and sore states in between), most every movement I take requires intentionality.  Will it hurt if I lean over this way?  How much will it hurt if I pick up that box?  Is it worth it to do this?   Will taking that step on my bus cause me a back spasm? 

How much I am paying attention to my actions is important, because in many other actions I think nothing at all.  Will this activity take time from my kids or my wife?  Will it lead me into sin?  Is this something that glorifies God?  In so many aspects of life we don't take time to really think about what our regular, routine actions are going to do.  And that can't really be good, can it?  Spiritual health is not just sinning and repenting; it is also about living the best kind of life, an intentional kind of existence in almost everything we do.  I should know this, after all...but so easily I forget, but I am thankful for the reminder (though I wish it wasn't so painful!)