Wednesday, April 17, 2019

The Good Place

My current favorite binge watch is The Good Place, with Ted Danson, Kristen Bell, and a bunch of other people I don't know.  It's wonderful, and somewhere in it there is a sermon series.  The premise of this episode is that Kristen Bell wakes up across from Ted Danson, wondering where she is.  He tells her that she is in the good place...all the good deeds she has done through her life has gotten her to be where she is, and she is placed in a neighborhood of 322 people where they can spend their eternity.  As the show goes on (spoiler alert!) we find that she was actually a terrible person, and other people she is with are not nearly as good as we think they are, and eventually at the end of season one we find that their existence is all part of a cruel experiment in which they are really in a version of The Bad Place, torturing one another. 

Of course, I really do love shows that speak about greater things, even if they are wrong.  In watching them it makes me think about what it is that I believe.  One of my favorite scenes is in the pilot, in which Ted Danson explains what it takes to get to that good place: 


Ultimately it's all a lie, since in fact these are people in the bad place, but I found that the expression of this was so similar to how many people think about heaven and hell, right and wrong, that I think it's a great teaching tool. 

I've still got a few seasons to go through, and know that there is more to come...but I am so glad to have come across this show.