Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Day Five, The End

This will be my last post on my navel-gazing (or lower back-gazing) posts about my back.  I promise this to future me, that I'll never have to read about this again.  I hope.

I drove my school bus for the first time this morning after being off the past two days.  It wasn't too terrible...I was more concerned about the pre-trip than anything, with all the moving around, looking under the bus, opening hatches, etc.  But that was managable.  The driving itself wasn't too horrible at first...but then there are my terrible bumpy roads.  When it was totally washboardy, it really wasn't bad because I used my left foot on the floor to brace for the vibrations that would shoot through my back.  It was the uneven bumps, both in town and out in the country, though, that really started to give me problems, to the point that by the end I was getting really tired and sore. 

I worried they might have to scrape me out of the drivers' seat with a spatula, but getting up and moving about was not too much of a problem.  I finally staggered back into the bus barn, relieved that I got through it and was able to get all the kids to school safely.  That's the most important thing...I was actually a few minutes late getting back because I took it more easily (not to mention the train stopping as I entered town), but that was OK.  Tonight should be better as the route is a bit shorter and should be quicker as well without quite as many students. 

In a way, today was a test.  If I can get through these things, then I'll be OK eventually.  I should probably go back and lay down for awhile before the afternoon route, but I'm just that the Lord got my through today.