Thursday, April 11, 2019

A Psalm of Lament: April 11, 2019

I am tired. 
I am tired of helping my daughter with math homework every night and then watch her not understand how to convert a percentage to a decimal. 
I am tired of my son playing video games all the time and then acting offended if we tell him to get off.
I am tired of kids on my school bus who will not sit down. 
I am tired of people defending a President and a political administration who daily lies, cheats, misleads, and ultimately does all these things to boost the interests of the rich at the expense of those in need. 
I am tired of men who think that having five kids with three women shows how much of a 'man' they are. 
I am tired of women who think that true love means letting a man treat them badly. 
I am tired of dysfunctional families in which generation after generation of bad choices never seems to get any better. 
I am tired of people never taking responsibility for their failures.
I am tired of people who think that their bad relationships are always the fault of somebody else. 
I am tired of weather that goes from warm to cold to warm in less time than it takes to use up a tank of gas. 
I am tired of preaching the gospel and listening to people say 'good sermon' and then continue doing the same stupid things again and again. 
I am tired of living in a country which says they believe in one nation under God but then by their lives live as Me-ists. 
I am tired of getting up at 5am each morning to haul other people's kids to school and not getting a chance to say hello to my own. 
I am tired of superhero movies, zombie TV shows, and reality TV shows that have nothing to do with reality. 
I am tired of how this world has given up on any pretense of righteousness. 
I am tired of the loneliness that I feel. 
But Lord, let me trust you.  Let me recognize how good you are.  Let me take my stand on you, no matter tired I am.  You will refresh me, you will show me your love, you will strengthen me to do your will.  Thank you, Lord.