Monday, February 18, 2019

Tonight's Dinner and Other Foody Thoughts

Tonight I made a blackened chicken pasta.  It had diced mushrooms and roma tomatoes and bacon in a white cream sauce with about 8 different spices, served over linguine.  It was one of the best things that I have made in awhile.  It required a sink full of dishes to create, but it was well worth it. 

Sunday I spoke about how Jesus liked a good meal.  He ate with Pharisees, sinners, tax collectors, and disciples, and would it times it seems invite himself over to somebody's house.  See: Zacchaeus, the wee bad little man.  I'm sure that it was in part about being with people, but I also wonder what it is that he liked to eat. 

There's something very, very important about food in God's creation.  Almost every culture has their own customs about eating and dishes that they eat...but because eating is so fundamental to life every culture seems to take it seriously.  I remember seeing the old futurist shows in which people would get their nutrition through little pills, and it's more ridiculous as I see how important food is.  It's not that I want to be Anthony Bourdain and eat the strangest of things in the strangest of places (strangest, of course, being a fully relative thing), but I enjoy food in its many forms. 

I wonder if Jesus enjoyed more than loaves and fishes and olive oil and wine.  Did he ever eat any precursor to pasta?  Or tortillas?  Or chocolate brownies?  I wonder how much he would have enjoyed my blackened chicken pasta tonight.  I think he would have, but he probably would have split it up into 5000 other portions while he was enjoying it.