Saturday, February 2, 2019

Saturday, Today

I am a dad.  I got up this Saturday morning today at 6am because I had to be clocked in at the bus barn by 7am so I could pick up my daughter's 7th grade basketball team to take them to a nearby community.  There they played two games: one loss (terrible refs) and one win.  I spent a lot of time with my wife and in-laws in the stands as well as visiting with one of the other basketball dads.  Then we turned around and came back and I put in over seven and a half hours on the clock.  I ate too much at the hospitality room of the school to the point that I didn't eat any supper but a cup of yogurt tonight.  Later I took my daughter driving (she's 13 and really, really wanting to learn to drive) and then played Rocket League with my son for an hour and laughed at him as he played Fortnite.  In between I watched a little bit of soccer on TV, finished reading a book, talked a lady from church on the phone, and now am sitting in my darkened living room while everybody but my amped-up daughter is already in bed. 

Did I really get anything done today?  From a purely objective perspective, no.  But I got to spend lots of time with the three people in the world whom I love the most.  So yeah, it was a good day.