Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Cancelling Church

Our little church almost never cancels church.  But tonight while walking in for our Wednesday evening Bible classes I noticed that the weather that was predicted at 9:15 was coming in at 6:15.  A slow, steady freezing mist that covered everything like stink on a politician.  A few times I almost slipped, and by the time I arrived at our church building, having all along thought we were having church, I noticed that every car I walked by was covered with a glaze.  Talking to a few of our teachers, I quickly deduced that yeah, this might be a good time to stay home. 

Maybe we were a lot tougher in years gone by.  Maybe we were a lot more faithful to the Lord.  Truth is, we will get up and still drive to work tomorrow and earn that paycheck.  If the Chiefs had a game tomorrow night, I can think of many people who would brave brutal highway conditions (not to mention 4+ hours out in the hypothermic conditions) to go to the game. 

But while I sometimes wonder if maybe we have priorities messed up, as I get older and have experienced the misery of falling on the ice more than a few times, I think it's better to stay home.  Were it daylight, of course, that would be another story.  But nighttime?  I'm home. 

(And let me say, there is absolutely no chance that our local school district will be in session tomorrow.  We've only had one weather day so far this year, and they are just itching to have another.  I told my kids that they get $20 if we are in school, I'm so confident of this.  I certainly have no desire to drive my overglazed bus tomorrow.)