Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Indefensible Driving

It snowed a few inches last night, not enough to close school (shockingly) but enough to make the streets slick enough to warrant a lot of caution.  Of course, there are still terrible choices being made out there by people who should have their licenses revoked instantly.  While on my way to lunch a woman pulled out in front of me making me slam on my brakes (fortunately I did not slide much) and as she passed in front of me I noticed that sitting in her lap was a toddler with a binky in her mouth.

I'm not going to be surprised, though, because I see people drive stupidly everyday.  We're told all the time about the dangers of using cell phones or texting while driving, but I see people (usually women) driving with small (and sometimes large) dogs in their laps with their heads out the window.  I see others with 3-4 dogs who have the run of the inside of the vehicle.  I mean, it's hard enough to drive with a few kids strapped in, but letting over-excited dogs who are looking to bark at anything just run free while you are driving?  Are you insane? 

When I drop the kids on my bus route off at the schools I see parents who have no thought as to anything around them, weaving in and out of traffic like it's a video game.  Others run school zone stop lights, ignore the stop arms when we drop kids off in the afternoons, and pull out in front of buses as if they can't see a giant yellow box hurtling their way. 

All this talk in recent years about self-driving cars makes people nervous: 'But what if they have an accident?  What if they kill somebody?'  But I've been watching human drivers long enough...most of them really, really suck at what they do.  Bring on the computers...surely they won't be nearly as bad as the humans.