Friday, January 18, 2019

Route Four

My sister does plays.  She runs a working theater and is always on the lookout for new plays to produce.  Sometimes they do a series of one-act plays that likely nobody has ever heard of and probably won't ever hear about again, but they are still interesting enough that people want to come and watch. 

A few months ago I had this idea of writing a one-act play.  It's a play about a bus driver and a half-dozen or so students on his bus.  You have the stupid kid, the annoying 8-year-old girl with a whiny voice, the 8th grader who likely will be pregnant within two years, and a few other characters.  But the breakout star was modeled after a kid on my bus who I used to call 'Talkshow', because he likely will end up hosting a podcast that three people listen to, but he does it so that he has an outlet to talk about all the crazy stuff in his head.  90% of the time the kid was actually funny, but there were times he was so out there that he also qualifies as a future 'Most Likely To Get Beat Up Outside A Bar After Mouthing Off To The Wrong Dude' award winner. 

I never got all that far in writing; this is one reason I am writing this blog each day, so that I can get some of the creative juices flowing within me at least a little bit.  Writing is Hard Work.  I write several sermons and classes a week, but that's so much easier than letting the writing itself speak.  I can use the sermon notes and go from there...but to actually write out those sermons would be almost impossible. 

Maybe Route Four will one day get finished.  A few more days of stuff that I see, and it will eventually write itself, or so I keep telling my lazy self.