Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Fandom

I have friends who are genuine Alabama friends, and this post is not about them.  But it is about those 'fans' who didn't go to that school, who know nobody from Alabama, who have never been to Alabama, yet in recent years here far away from Alabama have decided they are Alabama football fans.  Why?  Because they have won, a lot.  While I care nothing for college football anymore, I am annoyed by fake fans. 

I write this because as I am driving my bus this morning I see a kid coming into the school wearing a a Clemson Tigers shirt.  Does he know anything about Clemson?  Is he from South Carolina?  Could he locate it on a map?  But hey, they won the national championship last night over Alabama...and now we have brand new gear being broken out in honor of their victory.  I am guessing that this kid is not really the problem...likely he has stupid parents who thought it would be good to clothe their kids in orange. 

One of these days these programs will give way to Michigan or USC or Texas or Oklahoma or somebody else...and soon those kids will be wearing clothes reflecting that kind of 'fandom'.  I suppose this is the world we live in...no loyalty beyond victory.  It's the same mentality that makes the 42% of the population still fans of the current president.  He's not the other side, and the economic hasn't fully tanked (yet).  So they'll keep supporting him even though for years they demanded a Christian president, a man of character and nobility.  Soon they'll turn on him, too, because somebody else will soon come along.