Friday, May 31, 2019

Taking A Break

In recent years I have become more interested in the concept of Sabbath.  There was something holy about stepping away from work for a day, not letting yourself be consumed by creating something else but enjoying what you already had.  I haven't always done this very well in my life, as it often seems like I am working seven days a week.

But I do find different ways of Sabbath-keeping to be helpful as well.  Taking a vacation in which I don't cook and we sleep at a hotel and we just enjoy being together as a family.  Having periods where I repeat old sermon series or classes, so that I am not consumed with having to continually write more and more, instead reading and studying for no discernable end but just the joy and imagination it leads to in regards to faith. 

And so with this in mind, on this last day of May, it's time to take a little break from this blog.  It's been good for my creative juices to seek to write every day, and I will pick this back up again in a few weeks.  But lately I feel as if I have been writing for the sake of writing.  True writers say that this is important, that it's something you have to do.  But I'm not a true writer.  I don't write for a living, it's not what defines me, and seeking to do this at times has kept me from doing other things that are likely more important for me. 

I know that nobody actually reads this, which is a good thing...it gives me the room to speak about things that I have to purge from my mind.  Nobody is here to judge me unless I let them in.  But I think I've just about accomplished what I set out to do when I started, and so why keep on going just to do it?   

So, I'll see you in a few weeks.  Adios.