Saturday, May 25, 2019

A Royal Day

Today is the first day of our mini-vacation for Memorial Day weekend. We came to Kansas City, decided that the risk of the weather was worth it, and got tickets for the family to see the Royals today.  We spent more money here for food than the tickets had cost on the secondary market, but one rule of bringing kids to a baseball game is feed them whatever they want.  Baseball for kids is boring...I walked around much of the upper deck with my son because God bless him, he tried, but just didn't really care that much and said that his bony rear end was hurting from the uncomfortable seats.  My daughter pays more attention to the people around her, and does more to try and enjoy the game, but tomorrow night's soccer game will be much more enjoyable for them than seeing a baseball game. 

The Royals lost, of course, 7-3.  They really are not very good at all.  Their starting pitching is getting lit up, they have several guys who are regularly in the lineup who probably could not hit me if I was pitching, and their good young talent is still really young in a game in which experience counts as much as any sport.   So it's gonna be a long year. 

But I still enjoy going.  I will always have a special place in my heart for baseball, though I have been influenced by our culture that wants everything to happen a lot more quickly.  And the Royals will always continue to be my favorite team, even though it's like that they have another 26 years before they win the Series again (or even make the playoffs).  You gotta stay loyal to your team, not be like these little turds who throw on their Yankees gear because they liked that the Yankees won back in the 90s. 

The Royals are losing again tonight.  They will be lucky to avoid 100 wins again, but maybe they will get some new leadership and these young players will get experience.