Monday, May 27, 2019

Aladdin, the Movie

My family and in-laws and niece bought tickets to go see the new Aladdin movie today.  I had no desire to see this movie, but because here in the city on holidays you have to buy tickets to movies early, we bought one for my sister-in-law, who at the last moment decided she couldn't go because she had nobody to watch her two youngest kids.  I volunteered to watch the kids and let her go but that was not acceptable, so we had an extra ticket.  So I decided to go.  It was at one of those newer theater that have reclining heated seats but we were near the front, and about the only way to watch it was on your back. 

Solid 6, I think. Costumes were great, and at least I didn't fall asleep.  But Will Smith as the geanie?  Ugh . I would have preferred the corpse of Robin Williams being revived for this movie.  And, as in most mega-budget Hollywood movies, the story just spun out of control in the second act.  Why is it that they no longer can create a viable ending without fourteen twists, eleven improbable escapes, and at least two musical numbers and a magical creature?  I really wish I had chased my nieces around Wal-Mart for an hour with a few thousand dollars in damages to account for. 

I suppose that there's a reason I don't really like movies anymore.  They're just not that interesting.  Movies think they have to resolve a whole world-creating plot within two hours.  TV can take years to finish the story, and even then sometimes it's not enough.  Maybe next time they can sell my ticket and I can wander around Home Depot instead.