Thursday, March 14, 2019

Outrage du jour

The outrage over the college admissions scandal continues.  I wrote last night what I think, and I posted a few counterpoints on Facebook today with people who seem to be willing to cast that stone ("I've never thought about doing something like that!"). But I'm at peace with being annoyed but not really bothered.  I know we don't live in a meritoracy, and I know that people will be ticked off. 

So today I want to give some outrage starter sentences.  Nobody will read this blog because I keep it mostly hidden, but should one of you stumble across this you are free to find some new outrage hidden in this.  Good luck. 

-The moon doesn't shine, it only reflects the light of the sun.  How dare the moon trick us like that, pretending to shine on us when in fact it's stealing light intended for elsewhere.
-I have hundreds of books on the shelf of my office, some of which I have not opened in years.  How dare I have had these trees cut down so that my brain could have washed over these pages.  How dare I deny the education of others so that I can hold onto these books.  How dare I continue to put pressure on the screws that hold my wall shelves into place.  How dare I hold onto books that really weren't good to begin with, some of whom I disagree with, and a few even which ought to be thrown into the fire.
-My pickup truck is sitting in the parking lot outside of my office.  Why am I not being so generous to leave the keys in it so that somebody who might need it cannot borrow it without asking?  I am so, so stingy in that way. 
-Democrats and Republicans both support a system of taxation.  I didn't agree to it by casting my vote directly, and neither did you.  Why am I am having to pay taxes that I don't like?  It's communism, I tell you. 
-I was born in the United States, to good, Godly parents.  What right do I have to even live, so fortunate was I?  I oughta give up everything and go live under a bridge in some third world country...that would only be fair, right? 
-There is a road out in front of my house.  It's been there for almost 60 years.  I didn't agree to it being built, so why can't I go out and pickaxe the road and turn it back to what it once was?  To deny me that right is a pure outrage, a denial of my American freedom to do whatever I want. 

OK, it's stupid, I know.  Outrage du jour is not a fun game, but it is something that far too many people like to play.  Just leave me out of it.