Monday, March 4, 2019

As I Get Older...

-I'm much more sensitive to the cold than I used to be.  I used to love snowy mountains more, but now I like a sunny beach. 
-I don't really care as much about watching random sporting events.  If my kid is playing, great.  If a team I have chosen to like is playing, I'm in (if I can).  But two random teams?  Meh. 
-I don't have time for bad books.  If a book doesn't capture me instantly, it's gone.  Not that it's a bad book, but I just don't care as much. 
-I like streaming TV shows more than movies.  Movies are constrained by a roughly two hour time frame.  Streaming shows can take their time to develop a plot. 
-The Bible continues to interest me far more than any book I've read dozens of times has any reason to.
-My memory continues to fade.  Today at the bus barn they showed us a table and gave us a few minutes to look at the items, then we had to write them down.  I did not do well. 
-But my old stories continue to remain at the front of my head.  Not sure if all of them are true anymore, but other people's stories brings them to mind very quickly. 
-I think I'm a better preacher than I used to be.  I don't know how a young Christian can truly preach more than just a few times; there needs to be a lot more wisdom in preaching than I used to think before it really starts to be something worthwhile. 
-I am increasingly convinced that many people are practical atheists.  They made talk about God and meme Christian ideas and claim that Jesus brings them salvation...but they live as if God really means nothing to them.
-I find myself more and more discouraged by earthly kingdoms.  We are so into the idea of WHO came up with an idea and HOW we should label it that we no longer can think rationally about WHAT is being proposed. 
-The more I really need to have things that will make me laugh.  Good comedy is worth its weight in gold. 
-The more I see the the need to be discerning about what I believe to be true.  Some things are still absolute...other things no longer were worth believing in the first place. 
-I see how I am becoming my parents.  We all do this, but most of us never admit we are a strange amalgamation of who they are.