Thursday, November 10, 2016

What I think will happen.

So after all the pinching we have done, we are still waking up to a Trumpian presidency to come.  It sounds trite, but I am thankful that Jesus is my true Lord and that I am of a kingdom beyond this world.  Because the one coming into these United States may not be eternal but it will certainly suck.

There's so much to say and worry about, but I have resigned myself to the fact that he will be my president, like it or not.  Am I willing to give him a chance; after all, what choice do I have?  I think the protests taking place against him in many cities is unwarranted at this point; the man is not president yet, and he did win fair and square.  He may turn out to be a great president.  I hope that I, and many others, are wrong. 

But how bad do I THINK it's going to be?  Bad.  Consider what is to come.
-First time there is a big foreign policy crisis, how bad will he screw it up?  How bad will he mess up our relationships with our allies?  How many people will suffer because he is undisciplined and impatient?
-What if he actually is able to enact his protectionist trade policies?  What if the economy goes in the tank, like many predict?  Will he have any political capital to do what he wants?  Just going to a depressed part of the country and promising jobs (hey, that sounds like a Democrat!) won't get the job done.
-What happens if he and Congress gut Obamacare?  Millions will now be without health coverage, or, for people like me who believe it is essential, what will happen when the premium rates turn to a level higher than my mortgage and car payments combined? 
-In the days before the election we are told that his staff took away his phone so he could not post on Twitter.  Will this return?  Will he be posting about how much he hates people at 3am?  Will he have any self-control?   Will he spend his time getting caught up in petty feuds in which he now has executive power to do what he wants?  What happens when newspapers start exposing him as he is?  Will he send the FBI onto them? 
-How long until we hear the story that he has cheated on his wife with some groupie staffer or intern?  Can he maintain faithfulness when he is now the most powerful man in the world with all the aphrodesiac powers that this may have?  Lock up your daughters, Washington GOP!
-What happens when his Trumpian politics run afoul of GOP orthodoxy?  Is he going to completely re-create what the Republicans are, or will he simply become just another politician? 

There's so many bad things that could happen.  Maybe he will handle them like a pro, but I suspect not. 

God help us.