Monday, November 28, 2016

Last Christmas

I love this time of year for so many reasons, but one of my favorite ones may be hundreds of versions of 'Last Christmas' that I can find on YouTube.  Last year I did something like '34 days of Last Christmas' on Facebook with a new video each day, and looking around I find that I could do the same thing with an entirely new playlist or by limiting my selections to Asian versions or any other way of doing this.

But there still may be no better version than the original Wham! version with George Michael and Andrew Ridgely.  It's not just a great song, but also high comedy in watching the video.  Here are my second-by-second highlights.
0:06 ooooohhhh  aaaaahhhhh ooooohhhheeeeeaaaa, with a beautiful mountain background.
0:22 big wave!  big wave!
0:35 'wait, I could have been with George Michael and I got stuck with this guy?'
0:41 George hugs.  Girlfriend coldly shakes hands.
1:07 So, there are houses with no roads, and you have to walk there?  Geez.
1:12 Twirly guy decorating tree!
1:18 So happy to be putting out plates!
1:28 Dorky guy with dorky smile bringing in firewood tracks in snow.  Thanks, Bill.
1:40 STOP DUMPING SNOW ON THE FLOOR, BILL!
1:52 Whee!  We get to go outside and play!
1:54 Blue steel pose alert!
2:06 Cake on fire!
2:32 Oh, that was cold.  She knows what she's doing looking at him that way.  Which leads to...
2:36 Pouty eyes!
2:43 'Crap, I didn't know shooting this video was going to be an all-day thing.  I am sooooo bored.'
2:58 FLASHBACK alert!  Is she trying to escape from him?  Play hard to get?  Do we need an intervention?  What's going on here?
3:15 She is SO COLD.  Se gave Andrew the cheap knock-off jewelry George had got for her last year when he was a nobody, but now Andrew wears it upside down.  Forget it George, she's done.
3:24 'We have to walk back to that stupid gondola?  Good thing we're all dressed so brightly that nobody will shoot us!'
3:37 FLASHBACK?  Are they back together?  ???  Last year?  This year?   So confused...
4:07 Incoming gondola alert!  Move out of the way!
4:22 Well, I'm glad they could end up as friends.  Glad they are all happy.