Friday, November 18, 2016

A Prayer for President-Elect Trump

We are called to pray for kings and those in high positions in 1 Timothy 2:1-2 and Ezra 6:10 and to recognize that governing authorities have been instituted by God in Romans 13:1+.  If we do this for those leaders we like, we are especially called to do this for those we do not like.

So now we have President-Elect Trump.  I earnestly hope and pray that Mr. Trump will be a great president, that he will lead us right, that I (and many others) have been very, very wrong about him.  But I fear that the next few months and years will be a disaster.  Mr. Trump has no experience in political matters, has shown no moral character throughout much of his life, and does not appear to have any kind of disposition that you would want in a leader of such a large nation that contains so many different types of people.  I especially fear his lack of humility and his sense of self-promotion will be a huge problem.  Again...maybe (hopefully) I am wrong, that this (as some of my conservative friends have suggested) that this has all been a grand conspiracy of the media to deny a great man his place in history.

But I do not think so, and since of course I have no power to influence him, I had certainly better pray for him.  Yet how do you pray for somebody you dislike and respect so much?  And so here is a prayer I will try to pray daily on his behalf.  God can do greater things than we ever imagine; he certainly must be here if we have any hope.

Dear Lord of all the heavens and earth, whose name is high and great,
-I earnestly come before you on behalf of our new leader, Donald Trump.  I have a great fear that he is not up to the job he has been given.  But I know that you can change hearts and minds and make each of us more than we are by your good gifts, and so I pray for him today.
-I pray that you will bless his family, that they will not be hurt by the endless attacks that will take place on their family simply because they are associated with him.  Help them to draw nearer to one another and to you in this time of testing.  
-I pray that you will give him humility, so that he will know that he does not know everything and that he will desire to learn and grow in this job.  Help him learn from the mistakes he will inevitably make and make those lessons be something that will helpful and not hurtful.  
-I pray that he will not make rash decisions, but prayerfully and with good counsel take time to consider what is right.  
-I pray that the temptations of worldly power will not swallow him up into lusts, greed, avarice, or any of the other dangers that come with worldly power.  Help him to see his position as one of servant leadership, rather than domineering control.  
-I pray that you will give him good advisers, who will not give advice based on what he wants to hear, but what he needs to hear.  May it not be only liberal or conservative or moderate advice, but truly Godly and wise counsel that will help him understand what needs to be done.  
-I pray that you will give him a sense of your Godly joy, that he will enjoy this job and not let it become a burden.  I know that there will be many times that he will have to make difficult and impossible decisions, and so I pray that he will do so with a sense of sober responsibility but not dread.
-I pray that you will help him to make the right kind of appointments in coming weeks, that he will choose men and women who will truly strive to serve the nation instead of their own interests.  Give each of them wisdom and character so they can do what is right.
-I pray that you will bless our country with him as our leader, that we will not fear one another even if we do not agree.  Help us to see that we gain nothing by attacking one another, but are stronger when we stand together.  Help us to realize that we all have planks in our own eyes, before we point fingers at those who have specks in theirs.  Help those who stand in opposition to do it out of good character and a genuine desire to help our nation, rather than simply to be obstinate.  
-O Lord, we are a people in need of your guidance in your life, but we have often rejected it.  Forgive us for our sin and self-righteousness.  Help us strive to follow you each day.  Help us to live to your glory rather than the glory of any person or idea.  
-In the name of Jesus, our only Lord and Savior, we pray, Amen.