Thursday, May 1, 2014

Commercials For Codgers?

It's no secret that most TV commercials are targeted to the particular audience watching them.  Beer and car commercials dominate sporting events, and I'm assuming tampon and weight watchers commercials during most Lifetime shows (yeah, I know...broad sexist generalization!).

But what about the commercials for shows on networks who target people who watched TV long before I was born?  I like some of those shows, on a network called 'Antenna TV', that features shows like Green Acres, The Burns and Allen show, and Jack Benny.  What seems to be things that companies think old people need?

So, as an experiment, here's the list of commercials during tonight's 6:30pm episode of I Dream of Jeannie on cable channel 674.  

Commercial block one:
1. The "I've fallen and can't get up" help button for seniors, almost a minute and a half.  Philips Lifeline, featuring a lot of senior citizens near tears.

Commercial block two:
2. NordicTrac X9, another long mini-infomercial.  Burn them calories, fat people.  Just get up and walk.
3. OMG Tax, a tax resolution company.  Stop taking my money!
4. Wall & Associates, to get the IRS off your back!

Commercial block three:
5. XOut pimple treatment.
6. ITT Tech.  Scholarships and financial assistance for qualified candidates.
7. FreeHealthHotline.com.  What are you entitled to?  Get the prescription plan.

I'm actually a bit disappointed, I expected a few more prostate pills and portable scooters like I've seen over lunch.  But I guess that's more during the daytime when the older crowd is still awake.  This crowd is more interested in keeping their money, keeping their job, and staying alive after a fall.