Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Congratulations. You're Both Idiots.

We've all seen the show or movie in which there is a love triangle.  Two men are fighting over a women, show themselves to be complete and total jerks, and she finally gets between them and says, "You're both idiots, I don't like either of you" and then walks out.

I feel kinda like that right now when it comes to both left and right.  I used to be a solid conservative, but my years of studying the Bible showed me that Kingdom of God was not, in fact, a desperate cry from Jesus to lower taxes on the wealthy or build up our military infrastructure around the world.  Yet the liberal perspective, which in practice seems primarily a cash grab in order to fund do-gooder projects of dubious worth, have never seemed a worthy alternative.  While today I probably sympathize more with the Left than the Right, partly because the Right has moved so far into crazytown that it's impossible to at all accept it, I don't feel home in either ideology or either dominant political party.

The first week and a half of the current Trump administration has not made me feel any better.  Trump...crap.  What an idiot.  Whether it's appointing cabinet ministers who are designed to placate the billionaire class or continue repeating many of our foreign policy adventures of the past half-century, or whether it's Trump himself overreaching to drive away every ounce of goodwill or common sense that may have existed, I'm convinced that ending his reign cannot come soon enough.  Even Mike Pence would be a welcome change at this point...maybe not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I do think he has principles.

But some of the liberal response has, to me, been lacking.  Yes, I am glad that there are protests.  But I'm sometimes worried that their actions fall short.  I wonder how many of the good-hearted liberals speaking of how we should not close our borders to refugees are willing to sponsor those same refugees.  And many of those who are speaking up are doing so in such a crude manner that one can't tell the difference in style between them and Trump.

I'm not happy, and my patient waiting for the center to arise and put away this imbicility is starting to wane.  It's not getting any better anytime soon, and I'm tired with the idiots on both side.  Thankfully the 21st century is the best time in history to engage in some media escapism.