Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Minor League parks I've been to

As I was mowing in 95 degree heat I also got to thinking about some of the minor league parks I've been to over the years.  It's not as long and varied as the major league list, but there are still some good memories here, even if they are incomplete.  I don't remember any of the names of the ballparks but the teams I do.

Portland, Oregon (2002)
Eugene, Oregon (several times, 2000-2002)   This remains the only time in my life where I could not get a ticket for a game.  It was the 4th of July (fireworks!), it was completely sold out, and nobody had even a single ticket to sell.
Medford, Oregon (c.2000)  This team was, according to Wikipedia, the Southern Oregon Timberjacks.  Only thing I remember about this game was that it was the very worst baseball field I've ever seen.  It was worse than most high school ballparks.  No wonder they no longer have a team.
Arkansas Travelers, Little Rock (several times, 1990-1992)
Memphis Chicks (several times, 1993-1995).  They were AA at the time and in 1994 Michael Jordan and the Birmingham Barons came to town.  We sat out in the left field bleachers for $2 if I remember right.  Even from there I could see he would never make it...his bat was way too slow.  He did get a seeing-eye single that night, however.
Nashville Sounds (c.2009)
Oklahoma City 89ers (several times when I was a kid) and Redhawks (several times, current day).  The old 89ers used to play at a dump called All-Sports Stadium over by the fairgrounds.  When I was probably about 9 the Phillies, the parent team of the 89ers, came to town.  I remember Pete Rose playing a few innings.  I also remember another time when little leaguers were invited onto the field to field with the players.  I was shocked to notice that their uniforms had holes in them.  These were really pros?  

There have been others that I have forgotten about, but these are the ones that stand out at least vaguely in my mind.